Monday, August 22, 2016

1 Tim 6.6-8

//But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.//
1 Tim 6:6-8


The year and a half before I came to ignite the Lord had me in a desert season. When Austin was teaching from Acts 8 he talked about how God will often pull us from the revivals into a desert to work on our heart and he did just that in my life. I struggled a lot with being content when I couldn’t see what the Lord was doing. It seemed that God had put desires on my heart and then left me alone in a church office. I often fell into a state of discontentment with what the Lord had called me to that season. My vision was clouded but I was clinging to God to be my light in what felt like was confinement. Though the season was hard, the Lord stripped away so much filth from my heart. He brought me into a state of dependence on Him and opened my heart to the power of His Holy Spirit. By God’s grace alone, It was a life changing season for me. Though I have not attained, God showed me that He truly is enough. Jesus Christ is the greatest treasure and reward and He is truly all I need. Godliness without contentment is not complete, but godliness with contentment is great gain. It testifies of a supernatural grace. As the Lord strips away the idols and possessions in my heart, His perfect grace comes in to fill each and every inch of my heart. We will never face true contentment apart from Jesus Christ. It must be always only Jesus. In this season of Ignite, some might think that I would naturally be content because this is what I’ve been praying for for years. But I still find myself needy and looking for fulfillment. The Holy Spirit is really showing me that true contentment doesn’t come from circumstances, people or ministry opportunities, but it flows out of an abiding relationship with Jesus Christ.

Application: Today at lunch, I will take some extra time to praise the God that He truly is enough for all of my needs and ask Him to grant me a contented heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment