Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Endless Chase Of Perfection


//Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.// Philippians 3:12-14




The Nile River. God, you're amazing. 


Twenty years of life has taught me that life is messy. When I was young, I dreamed of the "perfect life" that awaited me. Like thick fog in the distance, I put my hope in earthly perfection that I falsely believed I would one day possess. The perfect family. The perfect personality (always smiling, laughing and of course... never discouraged). The perfect body. The perfect husband. The perfect ministry. I chased perfection. As morning broke each and every day, I never arrived in the state of perfection that I yearned for. Relationships were messy, family was messy, jobs were messy... and honestly I was a mess. As I was chasing perfection, I was unknowingly looking and longing for God. In His goodness, I found Him. God has revealed to me that often He hides His treasure in the mess. In the mess of life is where I have tasted and seen God's goodness. In the mess is where I've seen the character of God, a God that isn't afraid of my sin and brokenness, but wants to use it for His glory. I've found that He doesn't desire an outwardly perfect daughter, but one that is full of His love and His Spirit. His dream for me is not my worldly perfection, but eternal wholeness in Him. 



When I was young(ger) I dreamed of fleeting happiness, but now I daily feast on eternal joy.


When I was young I imagined great accomplishments and fortune, but now I know my greatest fortune is being a daughter of God.


When I was young, I dreamed of a beautiful home. Now, I live for my heavenly home.


 I used to think following God was all about works, but now I know it is all about radical and messy faith.


 I used to use my energy and resources to build a self centered kingdom, but now I have His kingdom inside of me. 



Life is so much more different than I dreamed it would be. But because I am a new creation in Christ, it is so much more beautiful and rich than I ever imagined. In my mess and brokenness I fall right into His everlasting and scandalous grace. Today in whatever circumstance you're in, collapse right into His grace. He cares more about your heart than your hands. More about your joy than your fleeting happiness. And more about your eternal safety than earthly comfort. Remember, His dream for you is not your worldly perfection, but rather your eternal wholeness in Him.


//Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.// 2 Corinthians 5.17


Taken at Calvary Chapel Entebbe...A place and people that quickly stole my heart.









4 comments:

  1. Emily...wow. Praise Jesus!! Amen <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 So well written. You precious, precious girl!

    ReplyDelete